Lord’s Cricket Ground Museum
The Lord’s Cricket Ground Museum was opened by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in 1953 and is one of the oldest sporting museums in the world.
Its collection, which was begun in 1864, spans the full history of cricket from its emergence as a major sport in the early 18th century, to the modern age of Twenty20 and the IPL. It includes material relating to the greatest players and events but also the grassroots, community cricket clubs which form the bedrock of the game.
The Museum’s most famous exhibit is the original Ashes urn, a personal gift to England captain the Hon. Ivo Bligh in 1882/83, later donated to MCC by his widow in 1928.
This tiny and fragile object, cricket’s most precious artefact, rarely leaves Lord’s, when it last did so, for the 2006/07 MCC Travelex Ashes Exhibition in Australia more than 100,000 people came to see it.
Other popular attractions include the stuffed sparrow that was ‘bowled out’ by Jehangir Khan in 1936, and the Prudential World Cup that Kapil Dev famously lifted in 1983 after India’s famous victory over the West Indies.
The Museum’s other displays include cricket kit used by some of the greatest players of all time – such as Victor Trumper, Jack Hobbs, Don Bradman and Shane Warne.
The life and achievements of WG Grace – perhaps the most famous cricketer of all – also receive appropriate recognition, with the Museum displaying portraits, busts and other memorabilia associated with the incomparable ‘WG’.
Many such items date back to the 19th century; indeed, the Museum benefits from the fact that MCC has been collecting cricketing artefacts since 1864.
Over 140 years later, MCC continues to enhance its collection of historic and contemporary items. For example, it commissions both young and established artists to add to its displays of cricket-related paintings – with some of the most recent additions being works by Fanny Rush and Karen Neale.
As well as housing static displays, the MCC Museum includes the Brian Johnston Memorial Theatre, which enables visitors to see footage of some of the greatest performances in cricket’s long and illustrious history.*
For opening times please read bellow because you need to book to visit the museum.
We have a lot more Museum centres for you to look at in our directory
- Address: St John's Wood Rd, London NW8 8QN
- Phone: 020 7616 8658
- Website: http://www.lords.org/history/mcc-museum-library-and-collections/mcc-museum
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get there by bus: 13, 82, 113, 139, 189
- Get there by tube/train: St. John’s Wood – Jubilee line (5 mins) Warwick Avenue – Bakerloo line (10 mins) Marylebone – Bakerloo line (10 mins) Bakerloo, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines (15 mins)
- Wheelchair access: Yes
Lord’s comprisesof a seventeenacre site and it is possible to walk around the Ground on an even walkwayand is wheelchair friendly.
Visitors whoare disabled or visually impaired can enjoy the experience of the Ground’s atmosphere on match days as there are special arrangements to ensure the comfort and safety of these particular individuals.
MCC is amember of the Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme. There are four large video screens, a public address system, hearing loops (in parts of the Ground) and free W-Fi to enable visitors to enjoy the game of cricket just that little bit more. The Ground has several excellent disabled toilet facilities that are located around the Ground and can be easily accessed via RADAR entrance keys from Stewards or Tour Guides.