Cilla Black’s Funeral Prepares To Say Farewell To Showbiz Star. The cortege route for Cilla Black’s funeral in Liverpool on Thursday has been announced.
The family of the entertainer, who died on 1 August, has asked those wishing to pay their respects to line a two-mile stretch of Woolton Road.
The funeral will be held at St Mary’s Church, in the suburb of Woolton, at 13:00 BST (12:00 GMT).
More than 3,000 people signed books of condolence in Liverpool, the star’s home city, following her death.
The funeral cortege will start at the junction of Woolton Road and Church Road North, and will travel to the junction with Blackwood Avenue before continuing to the church.
The family said the public would not be able to access the church grounds and asked people not to travel to Woolton village as “as this may compromise the funeral party and invited guests from attending”.
After the funeral, the entertainer’s body will be laid to rest at a private ceremony in Allerton Cemetery, where her parents are buried
Some parking and traffic management restrictions will be in place on the day:
- Church Road closed to general traffic between Allerton Road and Ridgetor Road
- Mason Street closed from Woolton Street to Church Road
- Mount Street and St Mary’s Street closed to general traffic
- All the above roads will also be subject to parking restrictions
- It may also be necessary to close a section of Allerton Road between Woolton Street and Quarry Street
Black, who made her name as a pop singer in the 1960s before becoming the host of hit TV shows Blind Date and Surprise Surprise, died after a fall at her villa in Estepona on the Costa del Sol.
A coroner ruled last week that the 72-year-old died from an accidental traumatic head injury.