Woman Dies In Christmas Day House Fire in Glasgow

Woman Dies In Christmas Day House Fire in Glasgow

Woman Dies In Christmas Day House Fire in Glasgow. An elderly woman has been found dead after a house fire in the east end of Glasgow on Christmas Day evening, police said.

Mary McConnell, 83, was pronounced dead at the scene after police were called to the property in Hermiston Road in the Springboig area.

Police Scotland and the fire service have launched an inquiry into the cause of the blaze, but it is not thought to be suspicious.

No one else was injured in the fire.

One neighbour said last night: “Two fellows who were passing by kicked in the door and a big cloud of smoke came out.

“They tried to get in, but there was just too much smoke.

“One of them shouted, ‘Is there anybody in there?’ but you couldn’t see a thing.

“It was thick, black smoke and it blocked the whole road.

“When the smoke came across the street I couldn’t breathe, so what chance did that old lady have?

“Mary was a nice person and something like this is tragic at any time, but it just makes it worse when it’s Christmas.

“My thoughts are with her family.”

The Scottish and Rescue Service said three fire engines deployed to the blaze.

A spokeswoman added: “Crews arrived within five minutes to find the ground floor well alight.

“Six firefighters entered the house wearing breathing apparatus and, equipped with high pressure water jets quickly brought the fire under control.

“The occupier, an 83-year-old woman, was rescued by firefighters. Sadly, despite the efforts of firefighters and Scottish Ambulance Service paramedics, she was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Police Scotland said inquiries were continuing and a report would be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

Meanwhile, three children, including a baby, were taken to hospital as a precaution after a house fire in Renfrewshire.

The blaze broke out in an upstairs room of a two-storey property in Auchengreoch Avenue in Johnstone at about 8.10pm on Christmas Day.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and put out the flames.

A spokeswoman said: “As a precaution, three children, the youngest being 10 months, were taken to hospital and three adults were checked at the scene.”

The children were taken to Paisley’s Royal Alexandra Hospital for the check-up.

Tags: , , ,